Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tree of Life


The Tree of Life layout is another layout from my Honeymoon scrapbook. The subject of the photos, of course, is the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida. I am quite proud of myself over this layout, because it is one of 2 layout concepts that I actually was thinking about while we were on our honeymoon. I thought it would be so cool to do a layout of pictures of all the carvings of the tree. So to acheive that, the Husband and I took alot of pictures of the carvings on the tree.

I ultimately scraplifted the design from Scrapbooks Etc. Page Planner (a magazine I love so much, it is becoming dog-eared. I may need to scope out another copy from Joann's.) I changed the size of the smaller photos, because I couldn't get them all into the grid at exactly the same size. But I figured it ot so that the left and right column photos are the same size, and the center photos are a slightly smaller size. I scraplifted the design because I am just not good yet with coming up with cohesive designs. In my defense, I am a programmer, not an artist. And I'm a perfectionist to boot, so I dislike having the pages all look crappy because I went with my own ideas of designs. So I am learning by copying, which is allowed.

As far as the paper choices, as always I used DCWV. (I shop at Joann's. It's easiest to buy a big book of DCWV when they're half-price. I like half-price.) I choose wood paper to emphasize the whole "tree" idea. Yes, I know it's really made of steel and what not, but it's supposed to evoke a giant tree. And it does a darn good job. I used the lighter letter stickers that look like they're burnt wood. I had those left over from my sister's wedding scrapbook. The brightly colored fall leaves paper in the background was chosen for theme and color. Had I used green, I thought that was too blah with the overwhelming amount of brown. The oranges and yellows just seemed like the right pop of color.

The important thing with any layout I do, is do *I* like it. And that's really all that matters in the end, right?

1 comment: