Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crafter's Block, Or, Where I've Been

I've been a little AWOL the last few days, suffering from a bit of Crafter's Block. But I have a good reason.

My crafting desk has been purchased!

We travelled to Ikea in Pittsburgh on Saturday and bought the desk. (We bought many other items, too. I love Ikea.) My husband assembled the desk for me on Sunday. It was cute, because I hadn't asked him to assemble it yet. He claimed that if he didn't assemble it right away, he wouldn't get around to it for weeks. Perhaps he was a little tired of the stack of scrapbooking supplies on the kitchen table?

The problem with assembling the desk, was that we had to empty the loft first. I had a decorative queen anne style desk, that for various reasons was residing in the loft instead of the family room where it was supposed to be. There was also a bookcase and the dreaded elliptical machine. (That machine and I have a love-hate relationship. It loves me, I hate it.)

So, we emptied the loft, husband assembled the desk, and I helped by making him some lunch and snapping his picture from time to time. (For scrapbooking purposes, of course.) Once the desk was assembled, we had to figure out how to get the rest of the furniture back in there. Sadly, only the tv and the elliptical made it back. Everything else is currently in the spare room. Oh how I wish the condo had a basement.

I have spent every day since, trying to get the desk set up. I hadn't realized how large my scrapbooking stash was. Amazingly, I had most of my stash stored in a rolling laptop case that broke my back if I tried to lift it. Now I know why. I managed to get most everything put away, purchased more storage containers for use in the desk cubes, etc, etc. It's alot of work. I'm trying to figure out a system that works for me. I'm also trying to figure out better ways of storing things like papers and stickers. Some storage containers I already have, won't fit in the cubes. (SOMEBODY should have measured rather than assumed.) Luckily, Hobby Lobby is having a 40% off sale on plastic storage containers. (Yay me!)

I'm having fun figureing out how to organize my desk. I'll post photos in a few days. I had to order a craft light for the desk, as the loft only has strategically placed overhead lights. The craft light should arrive sometime in the next couple days. Not having a good place to craft, and having a huge ordeal to get my supplies out, is really a huge contributor to Crafter's Block. But now, I can't wait to get all set up and back to scrapbooking!

1 comment: