Thursday, February 26, 2009

Snippets by Lain Ehmann

My first book review!

I have been following Lain Ehmann's podcast and blog since....well ok, since the beginning of January, when my bff Kelley started her own podcast and got me hooked on podcasts. So I haven't been a fan long, but it only took one listen for me to become completely hooked on Lain's ScrapHappy podcast. So I was just over-the-top excited when I heard she had a book coming out.

My copy of "Snippets: Mostly True Tales from the Lighter Side of Scrapbooking" came in the mail on Tuesday of this week. After doing a little happy dance around the kitchen (which my hubby watched with one of those bemused I-can't-believe-I-married-her looks on his face), I then proceeded to rip open the package and slip the book into my work bag. After all, a girl needs something to read on her lunch break.

The book is hardbound but small, pretty much pocket-sized, with an adorable little elastic strap to keep it closed. The book also has an attached ribbon bookmark. The cats haven't yet discovered the strap or ribbon, and I will do everything I can to protect them.

It took me two days of lunch breaks to read the entire book. I loved it. The book is a collection of lighthearted essays covering various topics, that, while specific to scrapbooking, could also cover fans of any number of hobbies. Topics ranged from musings on how much therapy the children of scrapbookers need after constantly being subjected to having the most important and most embarassing moments plastered on paper and that submitted to all sorts of online sites and magazines for the world to see....to hiding bags of newly purchased scrapbooking supplies in the garage so your husband doesn't see them....to the mystery of how no one needs anything from you, until the moment you sit down to work on your scrapbook project...to digging through other people's newspaper recylables looking for unused craft store coupons...to wondering why your shoulder hurts, and then evaluating the contents of your enormous purse...to getting all geeked out and asking your favorite scrapbooking celebrity for an autograph.

Overall the book was highly enertaining. There were several times I stopped myself from spitting out pop as I started to laugh. I found this to be an excellent reliever of stress in the middle of my busy work day.

So that all said....I give the book a thumbs up, and recommend you pick up a copy for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Except for the embarrassing your kids part...you could insert "fabric" and "sewing" in various places around your post and it would be a quilting book! :)

    ReplyDelete