Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Girlfriend Time

I watching Paperclipping Live tonight, and the host, Noell, had her friend Dedra on. They worked on scrapbooks together. The show ran long and there was alot of chatting and giggling. But it got me thinking. What is it about crafting, that makes it so much fun to do in a group? People gravitate to group crops and scrapbooking stores, sewing classes, tutorials, and in the information age, to the web. And they craft in groups.

Crafting in a group is different than crafting by yourself. Granted, alot more progress overall is made when when crafting solo. There's less distraction. But when groups give you that instant feedback. You can hold up your project and have others go "Oh now that is so cool." Or you can get help deciding how to fix a problem or figure out a certain technique. That support and encouragment can be invaluable to your overall creativity.

There's also the giggle factor. Face it, places a bunch of female friends in a room, and what do you end up with? Giggles. LOTS of giggles. And silliness. I think that's the part I love most. The camraderie is priceless. When I've spent time crafting with people, I always spend more time laughing than actually crafting. It's a great stress reliever.

Ultimately, this need to craft in a group is what's lead me to implement "Craft Day." Craft Day at my house, is a Saturday afternoon, when a group of friends get together and craft. I called it Craft Day because some of us scrapbook, some quilt, some cross-stitch, some bead, etc, etc. The list could go on. We have food, laughter, and fun....until everyone feels like leaving. It's one of the best ways to spend a Saturday afternoon, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment