Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Girls


Ok, as promised...a picture of the layout I did last week. What do you think? The photos are of my sister and I. We were about 5 and 3 respectively. Back then, my mom liked to dress us alike. So we both have on the same sundress. They were made of patchwork fabric that contained blue, yellow, green, and orange. (Wonder if Mom still has those dresses.)

So, design-wise, I was totally trying to recreate the dresses with the paper choices. Using multiple patterned paper on one page is a big deal for me, as it's way out of my comfort zone. I picked the orange out as the background, and then did the blue, green, and yellow as alternating blocks. I used rub-ons to make it look all stitched together. I think it came out kinda quilty. (What do you think, Zegi and Sara, my quilting afficiandos?)

For the embellishments, I just liked the green buttons. I was trying to work out a visual triangle with the green jewel at the center of the flower. I was also trying my hand at layering embellishments. So the flower is actually 2 flower embelly's stacked, with a jewel on top.

I'm not to keen on the way the journalling looks. It almost fades into the background. I picked up a Marvy Giga Circle Punch from Michael's a couple weeks ago (with a c.o.u.p.o.n. Me likee c.o.u.p.o.n.s. Almost as much as g.i.f.t.c.a.r.d.s.) The cicle from the punch is just slightly too small to cover it. I might punch a circle, cut in half, and place that over the journalling...with the same words written on it...anyways. I could just figure out a way to also cover the little bit of the old journalling that would still show. We'll see. I'm still thinking on that one.

Supplies used: Cardstock = DCWV. Patterned paper....crap, I didn't write it down again. Rub-ons were Heidi Grace, I think. The flowers are from DCWV. Buttons from The Paper Studio. Text from...um....I think Memory Makers, but I could be wrong. I know, I said I'd be better at keeping tack. At least I have no plans on being published. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I really like this layout, even the journaled portion looks really nice IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute - it does resemble a quilt! What does the journaling say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The journaling says

    Noelle & Carolle
    2 Sisters
    2 years apt.
    Often dressed alike
    Forever known as The Girls

    ReplyDelete